Friday, February 1, 2008

A sweet cookie monster

Last night as we were finishing dinner, Lilly was dancing around the kitchen. She grabbed onto the back of her big girl chair - no more baby booster seat for her, she demands to sit in a regular chair both at home and out - and said to me, "Do you want a cookie Mom?" I said that I was still eating dinner so she turned to daddy and asked him the same question. When daddy said no Lilly then said, "I would like a cookie!"

At this point, both Joe and I start laughing because she is just too darn smart and funny. Which in turn sets Lilly off into a crying jag - simply for the fact that we were laughing at her. I picked her up and tried to explain that we were laughing because she made us giggle and we were very happy. I think she has laughing confused with crying and gets very upset unless she is laughing too.

Why she asked for a cookie, I don't know. She does not get a dessert every night and if she does it is usually an all-fruit popsicle or a homemade yogurt popsicle. It just so happened that we have miniature alphabet cookies in the freezer (a birthday experiment in the works) so I said she could have one cookie. She said "No, I want three cookies." It was so cute that she ended up with three cookies - but she had to name the letters before she could eat them (she had a Z, S and L).