Friday, February 1, 2008

The skin of Lillian


Lillian is ultra observant of her surroundings and noises. We have had several incidents recently revolving around her skin and what is on it.
  • I was taking a bath with her when she asked me what was on her leg. I looked at it and didn't see anything. I asked her to show me what she was talking about and she pointed to some lines around the top of her ankle. It was the mark her socks had left on her leg. She began crying and demanding that I take them off. I tried showing her that I had sock marks too and they would fade after awhile but she was not having it. So daddy comes in to see what is the matter and make the wonderful suggestion that we put some cream on it. This Lilly liked and said that she also needed a band-aid. So as we were getting her ready for bed, we put cream on her ankles and band-aids and covered them back up with socks. She had to have cream and band-aids on her ankles for three days but no longer screams when she sees sock marks.
  • At another bath, Lillian asked me what was on her finger, her thumb to be exact. I looked and all I saw were the prune lines from being in the water so long. I told her that it was just wrinkled skin from the water and showed her that my fingers were also wrinkled but she did not accept that and began wailing to get them off. I was on my own this night but used the old cream trick and that worked.
  • Yesterday in the car, Lillian asked me what was on her hand. Of course being in the driver's seat I had to wait until we were at a stoplight. I looked and did not see anything. She kept rubbing and when I asked her to show me what she was rubbing, it was the lines on her palm. I have no idea what those lines are called so I called them palm lines and she told me to take them off. I said that they don't come off, they are just a part of you she screamed, "NO! I don't want them." Not so much crying this time, just lots of rubbing and fussing. I sat in the car trying to think of something for these lines and finally came up with kissing lines. I told her that the lines are where mommy and daddy can kiss on Lillian's hand and then close her fingers around the kiss so our kisses are always with her. She did not seem too sure of that story and kept rubbing at them saying, "I just take them off."
  • The other day she pulled out her hair bow and a piece of hair was stuck on it. She pulled the hair off and asked me what it was. When I told her it was just a piece of hair that came out, she started crying and asked - no told - me put it back in.
  • Lillian found a cat whisker one day on the floor. She asked daddy what it was and he said it was a whisker from Elsie. Lillian started walking over to Elsie with the whisker saying, "Here Elsie, put back in." Elsie was very smart and ran away.
I am hoping she will outgrow this phase quickly. It seems to only upset her the first time she notices these marks. She has spotted the sock marks since and has not had a fit - she just wants cream. So we have PLENTY of cream around to erase her marks.