Thursday, November 29, 2007

Reading

Lilly has always enjoyed books but lately she has become more of an independent reader. Her favorite reading spot used to be on your lap but now we spend a lot of time reading to her while she is standing near us or sitting beside us.

At bedtime, Joe used to be the one to read to her. He would sit in chair in her room and Lilly would be in his lap and they would read at least three books before bed. Lately she will not let Joe read to her at night - she must be in my lap. If Joe does read to her, she is usually sitting on my lap and Joe has to conduct the bedtime reading as the bookstores handle story time: the reader sitting away from the children and holds the book up so everyone can see the pictures.

The other night Lilly and I were on our own for bedtime and when it came time for books, Lilly picked one off of her self and went into her "closet" and said she wanted to read. Her closet is this space between her crib and the wall that she can fit into. She likes to go in there and pretend to sleep as well. She would not sit still for reading on my lap that night.

Yesterday she said she wanted to go get a book. So she headed down the hall into her room. When she didn't return, I called to her and asked her what she was doing. She said she was looking for a book. A few minutes later I wandered back to her room and this is what I saw:
I asked again what she was doing and she said "I reading Goodnight Moon myself." And she did have Goodnight Moon in her lap and was "reading" the appropriate words for the pages she was looking at.