Saturday, November 17, 2007

Christmas Parade

It is not even Thanksgiving but Raleigh held it's annual Christmas Parade today. Lilly and I went by ourselves because Joe had to work a wrestling gig. Lilly and I flew solo last year too for the same reason and it was much easier then. All I did was bundle her up, strap her in the baby carrier and off we went. I made sure she was nursed right before we went and nursed right when we came back. This year I had the stroller, two blankets, a chair for me and her, Lilly's lunch bag packed with snacks, water, wipes and tissue. Luckily all that fit in the basket under the stroller so it wasn't too bad but a lot more stuff to keep track of! I was debating even going since Lilly has an ear infections and has been a bit stuffy the last couple of days but decided we would try it.

She was excited about the parade at breakfast and when we got out of the car:


We found a spot and I set up the chairs for both of us. Lilly sat in her chair for about 5 seconds and then climbed in my chair and wanted to jump in it. When I told her she could not jump in the chair, she got mad and said she wanted to go home. The she wanted a snack even though she just ate breakfast. I have discovered when it comes to Lilly and waiting, it goes much better with food. So out came the snacks of fruit strips and veggie booty. Luckily there were some dogs walking nearby she could occupy herself with those once the snacks were gone.

Some women who were near us let us get in front of them so Lilly could see better. I was hoping she would sit in my lap but she was not having that. So I ended up putting her on my shoulders. Having an almost 24 pound child perched on your shoulders for two hours gets tiring very quickly but she was having a good time. It was hard to hear what she was saying most of the time but I could tell she liked the music form the bands because my head and ears would get tapped as she played the drums along with the bands.

I think her favorite part of the parade was the Highway Traffic Cone. I heard her say "I waved to her." She also enjoyed Muddy from the Carolina Mudcats, Stormy from the Carolina Hurricanes, the "okra" dog (it was a little dog dressed in a green dragon outfit that she thought was okra - no pictures of him), all the snowmen, horses and the drums (each time a band was coming, I would hear Lilly shout "I hear drums!)



When it was time for Santa, I got her off my shoulders and just held her. She did wave to him and made sure I knew that was ALL she was going to do with him as she kept saying "I just wave to Santa."
One of the floats had the characters from McDonald's on it and the women next to us said to Lilly "Look there is Ronald!" They kept trying to get her to look at him and I said she doesn't know who Ronald they asked my how old she was and acted shocked that she has never eaten McDonald's. Joe and I find that very bizarre that people assumed that once you have children you will visit fast food restaurants on a regular basis. Another woman handed me a candy cane to give to Lilly and when I would not take it, she looked as if I was starving my child by not letting her have it.

Anyway, when we got home I asked Lilly what she saw at the parade and she responded "police officer." We did see several police officers during the parade but they were not actually a part of the parade. After some prodding I was finally able to get her name some of the actual parade participants. Lilly kept her hat and jacket on the whole time and her gloves stayed on for the most part. We were right in the sunshine so it did not feel too cold out and there was not much wind as the weather forecast was calling for. I think she had a good time as evidenced by her expression on her face on our way back to the car: