Thursday, November 29, 2007

Mommy Medicine

Lilly has become quite fond of playing doctor - she really likes to give flu shots and just this week has picked up the phrase "I want to go to doctor appointment." She had her second ear infection a couple of weeks ago and was on antibiotics for that and really liked the fact that she got to take medicine twice a day. At first she got very upset when she offered the medicine to Joe or myself and we said we did not need it. Then she started saying that she needed her medicine at various points during the day.

She knows that she had an ear infection and the PA we saw at the doctor's office said that she loosened up some ear wax in Lilly's ear so every once in awhile Lilly will say "Ear wax hurts, go to doctor." Of course when you ask her if her ears hurts she will say "No." At playgroup the other day, Lilly pulled herself onto a chair and said "I want to go to doctor appointment." When I asked her why she said "I have ear infection." I then asked her in which ear and she said "left ear" and put her finger in her left ear - YES she does know her left and right (about 85% of the time.)This then leads me to spend the rest of the day looking in her ear and gently tugging on it to see if she says it hurts. So far nothing.waiting for her appointment with Dr. Mommy

All this week, Lilly has been requesting the doctor appointment game after her bath. So we pretend we are the doctor and go through an exam: checking her eyes, ears, nose, mouth, belly, hands, knees, feet and listening to her heart. She ten wants Mommy/Daddy to go the to doctor so she can perform the exam. It's always fun having a 21 month-old come at you and say "i want check Mommy's eyes" as she sticks her fingers in your eyes. We have been performing a "Going to the Dentist" routine for a long time now and she has started asking to go to a "real" dentist.

If she ever gets a cut or scrape that needs some Neosporin on it, she requests that several times during the day and will put the ointment on you as well. You end up walking around with greasy spots all over you and your clothes. It was during one of those spells when I invented Mommy Medicine.

I always offer to "kiss and make better" any bumps/scratches/bruises, etc. she may have but sometimes that is not enough. So out comes the Mommy Medicine. I pretend that I am opening a jar and then sprinkle my Mommy Medicine onto the hurt body part and then blow on it three times and say "all better." Most times it works. Until today, I had never opened my jar of Mommy Medicine in public.

While at KinderMusik, Lilly took a nasty tumble on the floor and conked the back of her head on the floor. She was fine until the two moms that were near her started to make a fuss over it and then the tears started. In an effort to calm her down, I pulled out my medicine bag, administered the medicine and the tears stopped. After that, a few of the other moms wanted to know how to perform my Mommy Medicine Show and so I did. I guess working with doctors for eight years paid off after all!