Friday, August 8, 2008

I'm sorry!

For a long time we have been making Lillian say she is sorry after she hits/bites/throws things. Recently I have tried to add apologies when she has an outburst.

Yesterday we were in the car and she wanted to listen to Creque Alley by the Mamas and Pappas. That CD was in the house and then she left loose with a screaming and kicking fit in her car seat. I just asked her a few times what was wrong and told her to use her words to tell me. Of course she did not and I left it at that.

Later when we were on the potty before nap, she leaned over to me and said, "Mommy, I'm sorry for my outburst in the car. For the screaming and kicking." I asked her if she could tell me why she had an outburst and she said, "Because I wanted to listen to Creque Alley." I thanked her for the apology and told her next time to just talk about it rather than have an outburst.

I was stunned by this. No mention of the outburst had taken place and it was about 1.5 hours after the outburst that she apologized. She is getting so mature so fast!