Thursday, January 3, 2008

Boys vs. girls

For some time now, Lilly understands the most basic differences between boys and girls. Over the summer she realized that daddies can not breastfeed. She knows boys have a penis and girls have a "bagina." The other night I was taking a bath with her and she said "mommy's leg rough, hurt Lillian." It took me a few seconds to realize as she was rubbing my leg that she was referring to the stubble on my legs. So I then explained that mommy needed to shave and that she was feeling stubble. Lilly later saw daddy's legs and said that daddy had stubble on his legs and we said daddy' shave stubble on their face.

A few days later in the car Lilly was chanting "girls have stubble legs, boys have stubble face, girls have bagina, boys have penis." She will bring this up through out the day and we play along. It is especially funny to hear her say "boys have penis - don't touch it!" which she has learned from bathing episodes with daddy.

While we are on the subject of bathing with Lilly, she will now take a shower with you. This is a great development since that means I don't HAVE to shower before Joe leaves for work in the morning. Of course the shower with Lilly is not that great - you have to deal with her running all around in the tub and pulling her bath toys out but it is fun at the same time. When she showers with me, I hold hold while we get in the tub and let her get wet in the shower spray and then put her down so she can play. We tend to leave each other alone for the the most part and do our own thing in the shower.

Over the weekend, she decided to take a shower with daddy. A shower with daddy is a much different experience for Lilly. I walked in the bathroom to give them fresh towels and pulled back the shower curtain. I found Joe sitting down in the tub with the shower spray still running and Lilly behind him with a bar of soap and a washcloth. Joe was actually putting her to work by having Lilly scrub his back. She looked at me and said "Mommy go, I still shower with daddy." Joe told me Lilly also washed his leg and helped shampoo his hair. And yes we do know there is a drought and we do soap up with the faucets turned off (which is NOT a pleasant experience for me) but this was just too cute to miss!

Since she obviously does not mind this type of work, I want to know when I can start teaching her to give me a massage and a pedicure.